Our “home” stirs familiar and warm feelings within. However, when dementia arrives, your home is then not necessarily as safe, comfortable and familiar as it once was. If you were to wake up every morning in an unfamiliar place it could be a very frightening and confusing place. Fortunately, there are easy-to-introduce steps to take and ways to best create comfort and security within the home.
Environments for those who are living with dementia become very important in thei
Eventually, due to our ever-increasing ageing population, we will all in some way or another have to deal with or encounter — dementia. According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), it is a condition that is progressive but not part of the natural ageing process.
According to WHO, dementia is caused by various brain illnesses that affect the memory, thinking, behaviour, and our ability to perform our daily routine and everyday activities.
With a reported 850,000 peop
Dementia can make sleeping difficult and a recent report I read found 35-70% of people who are living with dementia experience insomnia. Additionally, people who are living with dementia also wake more frequently and experience less REM sleep than those without the condition and attribute sleep disturbances to:
• Lack of exercise
• Daytime naps
• Damage to the brain’s “internal clock”
• Disturbing and unpleasant dreams (nightmares)
• Some experts believe viewing scr
Mother's Day is in March. So are you going out with your Mum? Or preparing a meal at home? Here are some tips for the special day.
With the increase in Alzheimer’s disease and its impact on women, more families are celebrating Mother’s Day with their mums who have dementia. Approximately 61% of of those who have Alzheimer’s in the UK are women, with men being the remaining 39%. Women have a greater life expectancy than men which means they are more likely than men to develo